6 tablespoons butter
1⁄2 cup flour
1 cup onion, diced
1 cup carrot, diced
2 tablespoons butter
2 quarts chicken broth
1⁄4 lb Polish sausage, diced
1 cup potato, raw,peeled and diced
1 head chopped cabbage (about 1 lb)
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or
1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
salt and pepper
1. Make a white roux with 6 tbsp butter and 1/2 cup flour by melting the butter in a medium skillet, stirring in the flour and simmering 3- 5 minutes while stirring constantly.
2. Avoid browning.
3. Set aside.
4. Melt 2 tbsp butter in a stock pot, or Dutch oven.
5. Add diced onions and carrots.
6. Saute until tender.
7. Add chicken broth, diced polish sausage, diced potatoes and chopped cabbage to the pot.
8. Stir and simmer for 20 minutes.
9. Add white roux, thyme, salt and pepper to the pot.
10. Stir until smooth.
11. Simmer for 20 minutes.