peanut oil or other vegetable oil, for frying
2 lbs baking potatoes, like russets
salt, to taste
1. Pour oil in a deep fryer or heavy saucepan to reach halfway up the sides of the pan.
2. Heat to 325 degrees F, use a deep fry thermometer to determine this.
3. While the oil is heating, peel the potatoes and push through a French fry cutter to form uniform sticks.
4. As you go, place the cut potatoes in a bowl of ice water to release some of the starch and to keep them from browning.
5. Dry the potato strips thoroughly, this will keep the oil from splattering.
6. Fry the potatoes in batches so the pan isn’t crowded and the oil temperature does not plummet.
7. Cook for 3 minutes until they are soft but not browned. 8. Remove the potatoes with a long-handled metal strainer and drain on brown paper bags.
9. Bring oil temperature up to 375 degrees F.
10. Return the par-fried potatoes to the oil in batches and cook a second time for 4 minutes until golden and crispy.
11. Drain on fresh brown paper bags then place in a serving bowl lined with paper towels.
12. Salt and serve immediately.