1 /2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons honey
6 slices day old challah (1 inch thick)
5 large eggs
1 1/2 cups half-and-half
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon orange syrup or 1 teaspoon orange liqueur teaspoon salt
1. Combine butter, brown sugar and honey in a heavy saucepan over medium heat.
2. Cook, stirring constantly, until melted and smooth.
3. Pour into a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
4. Trim crusts from bread and arrange in one layer in the baking dish.
5. Whisk together the eggs, half and half, Grand Marnier, vanilla and salt in a large mixing bowl.
6. Pour evenly over the bread.
7. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
8. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
9. Remove the dish from the refrigerator and let come to room temperature.
10. Bake, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes or until puffed and edges are light golden brown.
11. Serve immediately with individual pieces turned over with the caramel on top.