1⁄4 cup butter (melt the butter while the dish is baking) or
1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
7 large eggs
2 cups eggnog
1 1⁄2 ounces rum (optional)
1⁄3 cup sugar
1⁄4teaspoon cinnamon salt
1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
1 French bread, cut into 1 inch slices icing sugar
1. Beat together eggs, eggnog, rum, sugar,nutmeg, cinnamon,salt& vanilla.
2. Dip both sides of each slice of bread in this mixture and place them side by side in a greased oven proof pyrex dish Pour any remaining mixture over the slices.
3. Cover and refrigerate overnight (If you wish you can freeze the dish and put in fridge to defrost the evening before you wish to serve it).
4. Bake in 450f on bottom rack for 20-25 minutes (watch the bottom doesn’t get too brown).
5. Place on rack to cool slightly& dust with icing sugar.
6. Serve with Canadian Maple syrup and the melted butter.