1 tablespoon yeast
1 1 2/2 cups warm water
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons olive oil or 3 tablespoons canola oil
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups white flour
1. Dissolve yeast in water, I add a pinch of sugar, and let rest about 5 minutes or until it begins to foam.
2. Stir in salt, oil and half of flour.
3. Gradually add remaining flour, mixing well.
4. Knead 8-10 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
5. Place in greased bowl and let rise until double (1/2-1 hour) Punch down and let rise again until double.
6. Punch down and divide into 1-4 pieces, depending on the size loaves desired.
7. Roll into an oblong shape and then roll up, starting on long side; pinch to seal, forming long thin loaves.
8. Place on greased cookie sheet.
9. Slash top of dough with knife 3-5 times diagonally down each loaf.
10. Brush with water and let raise till double again (about 1 hour).
11. Bake at 375°F for 30 minutes.
12. Use within one day or double wrap and freeze.