12 slices French bread (use good quality fresh bread)
8 ounces cream cheese
6 ounces tomato jam (may be found at specialty stores) or 6 ounces your favorite jam
1 quart whole milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 pinch salt
2 tablespoons brown sugar (for sweetness)
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly ground
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1. Make cream cheese and jam sandwiches. 2. For batter, beat together eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, brown sugar, salt and nutmeg; Fold in lemon juice, sugar and ginger.
3. On griddle or non-stick pan melt butter.
4. Dip the top and bottom of the sandwiches in batter and pan fry until golden brown on each side, just like you would when making french toast.
5. Remove from heat and cut sandwiches in half.
6. Arrange on plate with favorite fruit accompanied with sausage or bacon or perhaps ham.